is a complete bust. I don't even want to tell you. I don't even want to say it out loud.
At first, when I read my friend's early January blog entries, I thought - YES! A word of the year is a lovely idea - I could use things like gracious or joy or simplify. Splendid idea! In fact, splendid is a pretty great word....
But I wanted to give it some thought, and that is where I went wrong. I should have just taken the word splendid and run! Because I was convicted (with a pit in my stomach) that my word should be
DISCIPLINEDiscipline! How NOT FUN is that?
Actually, it's the theme in Kids Worship at church this month. My kids could surely use some discipline at home. I could stand to be more disciplined in my spending, in my prayer time, in self-control. Shoot, I need to be more disciplined at taking my eye makeup off at night. Everywhere I looked, there were signs that my life had a huge gap, a void, a big time lacking...
So, okay. I can take a hint.
But, let's just keep a healthy balance, right? I can surely discipline myself to get my schedule in order, spend less time on the computer, cook better, eat better and exercise regularly. I can also recognize that things don't change unless you want them to. And when it comes to shopping, I don't really want to change. It's my one vice. And in 2010, I'm keeping it. Probably in 2011 too - unless my word turns out to be
frugal
I guess there are worse words then discipline!
And I can still be a disciplined shopper - like not buying things at Old Navy just because they are so ridiculously cheap on clearance.
Baby steps.
If you too are sticking with your shopping ways this year, say hello over here
http://thegirliestboymom.blogspot.com/


4 comments:
Jan, you have been a shopper ever since you could walk...why think of changing... you are perfect just the way you are.
Love,
Mom
you are so funny! I love the way you say things, and your honesty and confidence.
Discipline, eh? There are definitely worse words, and better. ;)
You crack me up Jan! So is the word discipline? Surely it's not frugal? I LOVE your new blog! Super fun and the "if I had a job" post made me laugh out loud. I think that about clothes all the time too!
You are hysterical. Love your new blog!
Post a Comment