Monday, February 22, 2010

hoops of hope

Harrison is just finishing up his first season of Upwards Basketball . Recently, the kids were given the opportunity to participate in Hoops of Hope. Hoops of Hope is the world’s largest free-throw marathon. Similar to a walk-a-thon,, participants raise awareness and funds for children who have been orphaned by HIV/AIDS by shooting free throws. 100% of all funds raised through the free throw marathons go directly to care for orphan children in highly affected areas.

The event was held at our church this past Sunday.
No real shocker that Sawyer wanted in on the action too. He rooted through his closet for the closest thing he could find to an Upwards uniform. I'm pretty sure he was the youngest one there....and maybe the most intent, too!
We've heard from friends that he made an appearance on NBC's Evening News last night - but we missed it! (I'm ordering a copy of the broadcast). Both boys had such a great day, for such a great cause!

4 comments:

Tifani said...

If you can find a video file online, please share it. What a great way to raise awareness!

Patty Gianfelice said...

The boys look like superstar athletes..... what a great cause. I'm so glad that Harrison asked me to donate to his cause. Can't wait to see the video.
Mom
Can you believe that Sawyer will be 4 years old tomorrow!!!!!

The Frosts said...

Such handsome boys and these pictures turned out GREAT. What has been your experience with Upwards? My friend recommended them but I don't know anyone else who has kids in the program. Was Sawyer on your local news or the national broadcast? That is SO fun!

Kristi said...

That is so cool! I wish I had caught the boys on the news. You'll have to post the footage, if you can.

Those are cute little ball players. :)