Sunday, September 28, 2008

trouble in pumpkin paradise

For those of you who don't know, I had grand visions of creating pumpkin topiaries this year. Something like these beauties

However, after reading instructions on several blogs and the DIY network, I quickly realized that wooden dowels and circular saws were not in my realm of capability. So I decided to create something on a smaller scale instead. Something like these simple beauties

Walking through the craft store, I started to doubt whether I was even adept enough to use the industrial strength glue in my cart. It was then that I spotted the free floral arrangement center, and decided to drop off my pumpkins and urns and leave the gluing to a professional. I told her I wanted some moss at the base and possibly a bow using the ribbon I had selected. "No flowers?" She asked. Hmm, I wondered if part of the "free floral arrangement" deal meant that your project should include flowers. "I just want them kind of plain" I explained, "maybe a flower or two in between the layers would be okay? Whatever you think" Uh-oh, those last words were a BIG mistake, because obviously, Lauren is a fan of faux florals. And now my should-be-beauties are covered in a gaudy mess of glittered leaves.
I told Lauren I loved them, because I didn't want to hurt her feelings. I told Jonathan I loved them because it was obvious he hated them, and I was feeling defensive. But I'm confiding in all of you beacuse I need your help! Do I just rip the tackiness off of them? Do I disassemble them all together and repurpose the pumpkins on the porch? Tell me what to do, all you queens of craftiness!

4 comments:

Julie said...

I think you have to try and take off the leaves in between the layers.

Girl, next time just go for it. Glue guns are fun! My fav project is using black feather boas. Wrap them around a wreath form, tie on some thick orange grosgrain ribbon and for like less than $10 you hae a fun feather wreath!

Hilary said...

oh crud!! I agree they are a little over accessorized... :O)

Repurposing is a grand idea!

Patty Gianfelice said...

Janet, why didn't you just ask me to help you, believe it or not... I am pretty good at putting things together as long as someone else has the ideas, I've got the muscle!
Mom

queenbee said...

I did the ones that are outside the front door about 5 years ago and I did them with real pumpkins...I will have to see if I have a pic it was at the other house...anyway the pumpkins didn't last very long...I like the white pumpkins but I like the plain ones on your mantel better...pull the leaves off!